Established 1897, the original hotel was built back when horses were the main mode of transport, hence the hitching rail in front. Unfortunately, the building burnt down (as many hotels have in Winton) in 1924.
The current building was built in 1925 to replace the previous building. Cars were now the main mode of transport. The building was built along similar lines to the original, with a large front veranda, however the building was expanded with the building did not include the side verandas.
The building stands in the central area in the main street (70 Elderslie Street). This section of Elderslie Street is often closed off during festivals and special events to allow people to walk the street and take up food offerings, visit stalls and participate in attractions. The photo here was taken in April 1995 during the Waltzing Matilda Centenary Celebrations.